Friday, February 04, 2005

Is It Over?

The downward spiral I mean. I had an interview yesterday with a pretty good sized law firm downtown and was pretty much offered the job on the spot. It seems like it would be a good fit for me. It’s laid back, I can still pretty much set my own hours, as long as my work is getting done, nobody will be breathing down my neck and I will have my own office. Not a cubby like I have now, a real honest to goodness office. Complete with a door and my name stenciled on the window. Plus, the best part is that it’s going to be a pretty substantial pay raise. They asked me how much I wanted, I pulled a number out of my ass that I thought was waaaaaay too high and they didn’t bat an eyelash. They said, “We can do that. Plus, you’ll get a bonus in September along with your annual raise.” I think if they would have told me I get my own secretary, I may have creamed myself right then and there. Thank God I have to do my own typing because that would have been fucking embarrassing.

There will be trade-offs, however. It is more “corporate” of an atmosphere, so wearing jeans everyday is out. I will be making a pilgrimage to the Gap Outlet this weekend to buy three more pairs of khakis, along with some dress socks. My usual rotation of my R/L jeans, Gap jeans and Tommy jeans will have to be modified somewhat. Also, they actually keep track of vacation time. Since I moved here, both firms I worked for didn’t care how much time you took off as long as your work was done. At the new place, I get 18 vacation days a year, plus 8 holidays and 1 “floating” holiday per year. What this means, however, is that my little ‘Disney’ vacation that I had planned is probably out, since I won’t have enough time built up. I do get comp time, so if I work an extra Saturday, I can take a day off during the week. I may do that to take my vacation. If not, I’ll take the boys to Seattle for a weekend to watch the Mariners play a game or three. Also, I’m not quite sure how my internet usage will pan out. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get into a rhythm wherein I can blog in the morning and at lunch.

One of the bright points of leaving my current firm is that they are letting me take my laptop with me. When I came aboard in October 2002, they bought me the king-shit of laptops. I e-mailed the partners and told them I’d like to take it with me. They have agreed to that. I feel that I earned it while I was here. However, that was very nice. Very nice indeed.

So, my friends, all my self-indulgent whining, moaning and bitching was all for naught. But it’s my blog and I can whine, moan and bitch if I want to.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?