Wednesday, September 01, 2004

When Does It Happen?

Seriously. When?

Let me explain. I’ve been watching the Little League World Series. Absolutely love this event. I wait for it every year. Those little dudes are amazing. Anyhow, before the first inning of each game, the announcers introduce the players and then tell a little something about them. For example, the announcer will say something like, "Here’s Benjamin Stevens playing Left Field. His favorite food is pizza and he wants to be a professional football player when he grows up." I love that shit. Absolutely eat that shit up. They go through each of the players, one by one, and they name off what they want to be when they grow up - policeman, baseball player, doctor, vet, fireman, etc. It’s the same with most every kid you ask. They all have a dream to be something great. They want to DO something with their lives. So my question is this - When does the fucking dream die? When? I never wanted to be a paralegal when I was growing up. I never wanted to be stuck behind a desk 45 hours a week. I was the one that wanted to be a baseball player growing up. Or a policeman. Or a fireman. Or something COOL! Not a paralegal. Hell, when I was growing up, there were no paralegals (even if there were, who the fuck would WANT to be that, like that was the best they could do? Shit, why not just be a proctologist? - you're up to your eyeballs in it either way).

I can’t put my finger on when it happened. When the dream died. I do know that it had to have been in high school sometime. Not enough parental guidance and nary a lick of drive to make it happen. Maybe I just wasn’t "man" enough to live my dream. I dunno. I do know that this is NOT my dream job and I only get one chance to do something with my life.

What did YOU want to be when you were little? What happened? If you are one of the few that are living their dream, congrats! I applaud you. As a matter of fact, I’m in absolute awe of you.

Lucky motherfucker!

|
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?